17 April 2005

Language confusion


Santo Stefano
Originally uploaded by holacola.
April 15 &16
Spent a few hours in the Frankfurt-Hahn airport with Don before his flight back to Finland. Was a sad goodbye. We had so much fun that it was hard to leave each other. But, at least I'm going to Finland soon, so we should survive. Waited for bus into Frankfurt city. During my wait, I saw a man wearing a jacket with a powercat on it. I asked the family if they were from Kansas, and they said they used to live there. Anyway, told them I was a KSU student studying in Prague, and they said that they had lived in Manhattan for 13 years, but have lived in Germany for the past 3 [military]. The bus situation was a little confusing, and a girl came up to me and asked which bus went into Frankfurt City. I wasn't sure, but we figured it out and ended up sitting together. She's from South Africa but lives in London now and was going to Frankfurt to visit her boyfriend. Stowed my bag in a locker at the train station, and set out to find something to do in downtown Frankfurt. Found the mall and spent a few hours in the Esprit store! Very fun. Killed some more time and ate. At this point in my trip, I had been using about 4 different languages, and was starting to get them all confused. I know how to say "do you speak English" in about 5 different languages now. Then caught my bus back to Prague. I might add that this bus ride was one of the most miserable transportation experiences of my life, mostly due to the fact that the bus was full, and I was sandwiched between several obese people. And there were some hooligans at the back of the bus that talked the entire time [I believe they may have been intoxicated]. Anyway, I made it home to Prague in one piece. Slept for several hours yesterday, as the bus ride provided little slumber. Time to do laundry and catch up on homework, etc. Was a really great trip and had the time of my life. One I won't soon forget. It was also really great that I could share it with Don, partly the reason it was so much fun, I think.

No comments: