30 November 2005

opposites attract

not that smile

As the old saying, and a Paula Abdul song go, opposites attract, and Don and I are no exception. For example . . .
_Don's big, I'm little
_Don's great at math and physics but is horrible at spelling, grammar, the linguistic arts. I'm not so good at math and horrible at physics, but possess a super-human knowledge and mastery of the English language, especially in written form.
_Don loves the outdoors/wilderness. I'm an indoor activity kind of girl.
_I'm a great baker/maker of cookies. Don's expertise lies in stove-top cooking and grilling.
_A snowy day is Don's ideal day. I prefer warm temps and sunshine.
_Don is a morning person. I loathe mornings.
_Making the bed, Don style: throw blankets on top, no tucking in. Nicole style: neatly place flat sheet then cotton blanket, straighten, tuck in bottoms, complete with hospital corners.
_My motto: A place for everything and everything in it's place.
Don's Motto: Other things take priority over organization.
_Don could sleep through a tornado/hurricane/tsunami, whereas I wake up at a pin-drop.
_I have a sharp memory and rarely forget things. Don forgets things frequently.
_I keep every receipt, balance my checkbook at least weekly, and check my account daily. Don withdraws money to see how much is in his account and balances never.

As you can see, we're significantly different in many aspects. These polarities are what make our relationship work, though. Because really, if Don always put the ketchup back in the fridge where he got it, what would I have to complain about? That's right, nothing.

No comments: