17 February 2006

one year ago today...

I left to go to Prague.
Nicole_castle
As the fourth-years have been preparing to leave for their destinations in Europe, I've been thinking about my own adventure. It seems like it was only a couple of months ago. And I wish it were starting again. And I feel as if it would be even better this time. Instead of arriving jet-lagged and overwhelmed, I would merely be jet-lagged. This time, I would be arriving someplace familiar. I'd be returning to a place that's a part of me. A place that feels a little like home.
Vltava River
Although things were strange and chaotic and foreign, they became familiar. After a while, nothing really seemed foreign, no matter where I was, and I learned how to feel grounded and comfortable anywhere. I gained this amazing confidence, this wonderful sense of self while I was there.
Spires
I was somewhat aware of the changes occurring in me while I was there, but they really clarified once I came back and started to reflect on things. And for a while, I kept thinking of these changes as something that happened while I was in Europe. But, the more I dwell upon it, the more I realize that it is still changing me, and Prague and Siena and Venice and Berlin and Helsinki and Iraklio and Trogir are still with me. The fact is, not only did I find a home in Prague, but Prague found a home in me. The mystery and magic of that city and my experience within it will always be a part of my being.
Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to call it home again someday.
Charles Bridge & Prague Castle

1 comment:

alexis said...

i know what you mean. that's a nice feeling.