09 November 2006

all i want for Christmas...

is a Lexus that parallel parks itself. Seriously...have you seen the commercial for this magic automobile? I consider myself to be a fairly competent and capable driver [most days], but one thing I've yet to master is the parking in a parallel manner. My mother would say this is because I did that fancy, 4 day driving school instead of a boring summer of high school driver's ed. Please, by the time I got my restricted driver's license I had more driving hours/miles than a damn taxi driver. I learned to drive at age 12, in an ancient Nissan station wagon, stick shift, on a dirt road outside of Oberlin, Kansas. As soon as I turned 14, I went to the DMV and got my restricted license. And my Dad made sure I drove EVERYWHERE. Not to mention, my first car, charming, fabulous Italian sports car that it is, required that I master a technique called "double clutching." For those of you who have been deprived the luxury of driving a farm vehicle or a sports car with a crappy transmission, this is what you do when your gears having timing issues. So, needless to say, I know my way around a vehicle, as well as the road. What I don't know my way around are two cars parked parallel to the curb with just enough space for a compact car to squeeze between. I'm going to blame this flaw on the city of Topeka, Kansas, where a kid can pretty much avoid parallel parking. And maybe a little on my dad, for not yelling at me until I got it right. But I digress; why do I need a new, fancy, self-parallel parking Lexus when I don't even drive that much in Chicago? Because there are alot of parallel spots in the city. So really, if you could just find it in your heart, or bank account to bring me one, I'd be eternally grateful.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

Check it out here:
http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/features/exterior/advanced_parking_guidance_system.html?demo=ls_parking&s_ocid=30019

sloring said...

the best advice i ever received and it was in regards to parallel parking...

you gotta HOOK it!!!

Nicole said...

i'm not even sure what that means. but i'd like to try it.

Anonymous said...

I have told and shown you how to do it, but obviously you payed little attention. What happened to being excited about lamb earmuffs and a Party Kitchen for Christmas?

Amy said...

was that last comment made by your mother...tsk tsk...just plain nasty. I was thinking, you dont really need the Lexus. Really, all you need is a personal driver and a limo.

Nicole said...

As a counter argument, "anonymous", aka mom, I've yet to back into a parked car. eat that.