20 January 2008

My turn!



Yep, I'm finally engaged! And it only took 5.5 years! Here's the story, with a little necessary background:
There is a restaurant and lounge at the 95th and 96th floors of the John Hancock Tower, called the Signature Room, here in Chicago, which offers a spectacular view of the city. The first time I went there was my third year of school when we were in Chicago for a school trip. Ever since that first visit, I've dreamed of getting engaged there, although I never told Don this. So, you can imagine my excitement when Don's dad and stepmom got us a gift certificate to the Signature Room for Christmas this year. Now all I needed to do was postpone our dinner until Don would be able to get a ring....
Well, Don insisted that we go soon, so I finally gave in. He made a reservation for us on Saturday January 12 - pending clear skies, of course. The sky was crystal clear that day. We both dress up, as we normally would for a fancy dinner, and take a cab to the Hancock tower. We arrive early, so we sit and have a drink until our table is ready. As I had told a friend a few days before, I was really skeptical about Don proposing that night, so I was just casually enjoying our evening. Our table by the window is finally ready. We order a bottle of wine and have a lovely dinner [I ordered the scallops in case you were wondering]. Don says, "Well we have to get dessert." Not a problem for me. As we're waiting for our dessert, Don says "I have a surprise for you." Still none the wiser, I say, "What are you talking about?"
"I've been working on it for a while now." 
"What?" still unsuspecting.
Then Don stands up, and at that moment, I realized what was happening. He walked over to my side of the table, got down on one knee, and pulled out a small black box. And it's a good thing he didn't have a long speech, because I was so stunned, I wouldn't have remembered it. My response consisted of me nodding my head and saying "Uh-huh." I really was so surprised and speechless. Then our dessert arrived, with "Congratulations on your engagement" written on the plate. 
The whole night was simply perfect. 
So, Don and I are getting hitched! But so far, we have no idea when or where yet. We're just enjoying it right now. Especially me - I really enjoy staring at this ring.


ring 5

[Yeah, that puppy is a full carat! Perfect color and clarity, too.] 


3 comments:

sloring said...

CONGRATS!!!! We're dropping like flies!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats....and enjoy! The smile on your face is worth a million! God bless you,
Jeannie

ami @ elizabeth anne designs said...

congratulations! i'm sure you're thrilled - and your ring is gorgeous!