15 January 2010

the force is weak with this one...

I forgot to tell you about the other HUGE thing I did in 2009. Here goes:

Although I consider my self quite the catch (I am the Pie Queen, after all), I've turned a few fellas off when I admitted that I had never seen, nor had the desire to see a single Star Wars movie. Not a one. Not even a clip. (Honestly, if you are willing to pass up pie in the name of Star Wars, there is something wrong with you.) Sometime in high school, after being told several times that the original series was "the best group of movies ever" I decided I was OK with being the only person who hadn't seen them. Why be the same as everyone when you can be defiantely different?

Fast forward to the end of my freshman year of college, I have plans to hang out in my favorite dorm, Marlatt 4, with a certain architecture boy... When he asks if I'd like to go with a big group of people to see the newest Star Wars movie before, I politely explained that I would pass. So Don picks me up after the movie and takes me over to his dorm, where he tries to explain how great the movie is to me. And I am forced to divulge that I refuse to see the movies. (You gotta have principles, right?) Luckily for me, Don wasn't scared away by this.

He continued to bug me about how I really should watch a Star Wars movie, because they are soooo awesome. About 6 months in to our relationship, I am tired of hearing how awesome Star Wars is, so I promise Don that if we ever get married, I will watch ONE of the movies. This shut him up.

Until we got engaged. Then I was reminded that post-nuptials, I would be required to watch one. I told Don he better make it good, because if I hated this one, I wouldn't watch any others and he would not speak of their awesomeness again. He chose A New Hope, the original.

So what did I think? I didn't hate it. I can see why the graphics were a big deal at the time. And why nerds like it. And I watched a few of the others. I think the new ones are terrible, despite having good actors.

And now I understand a lot more pop-culture references. But do I think they are the best movies ever? Not so much.

2 comments:

Ashley Diane said...

HA...i found your blog and like your style! I have never seen that many Star Wars either and always get it mixed up with StarTrek- oh, the horrors! :)

Quite frankly Star Wars people scare me. My husband is a big fan....haha.

Nicole said...

Thank you! Glad you're reading. I try to update whenever I can.