09 February 2010

No Bake Cookies - a Kansas Delicacy

Have you ever had a no-bake cookie? Chances are, unless you're from Kansas, you probably haven't. In that case - I feel bad for you. No-bake cookies, sometimes called chocolate no-bakes or chocolate peanut butter no-bakes, are delicious treats. The process resembles candy making more than cookie making. I grew up making and eating these cookies. They have a sweet chocolatey flavor, with oatmeal and peanut butter.

I think I can also give these cookies the credit of winning Don's heart - he hadn't tried them until he met me, and they're still his favorite. No-Bake Cookies are so irresistable, I even went to the great length to procure all the ingredients in Europe and convert the measurements to metric to make them for Don in Finland.

As many non-Kansans have requested, I am sharing this recipe. I have to transpose the original recipe for you - if I type it as written, you will not actually be able to achieve the desired results.

Put the following ingredients into a heavy-bottomed medium sized sauce pan (at least 2 qts.):
2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. butter

Measure out and have ready the following ingredients to add in after cooking:
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
3 c. old fashioned oats


Turn the burner on to medium heat. Stir the first group of ingredients constantly to prevent scorching.

(melting and stirring)

The mixture will start to boil - continue stirring at a rolling boil for 2-4 minutes. The mixture will start to thicken and coat the back of a spoon.

(boiling and thickening)

Remove pan from burner. Stir in peanut butter - once melted, stir in oats. Drop by tablespoonfuls on to waxed paper. Allow to dry/set up and then eat.

You should probably eat the leftovers stuck to the pan, too.

This recipe may take you a couple of tries to get it just right. If you don't cook the mixture long enough, the cookies will be flat and chewy. If you cook it too long, the cookies will be dry and fall apart. They'll still taste good, they just won't be as good.

You can also put the mixture in to a rimmed pan and cut them in to squares. The mother of my best friend in grade school was the only other person to make no-bakes as good as these, and she would always put them in a pan and cut in to squares for us.

(ok, I realize these look a little bit like turds - that is because I didn't have enough old fashioned oats and had to substitute some steel cut oats - I don't recommend doing so unless you are really desperate for a no-bake fix!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want some! Goes great with a beer.

Dad

Nicole said...

Dad, you think everything goes great with a beer. And I agree! I think this would be especially tasty with a coffee stout!