12 May 2010

Easy Bake cOven : Lemon bars

I love lemon desserts. Of all kinds. 2 years ago, when I went to visit the Lovely Lady Baker, I was on a mission to try something tasty from the legendary Tartine Bakery in San Francisco. I chose the lemon tart. I loved the lemon tart. So you can imagine my thrill when this recipe was posted.

You might also be able to imagine my thrill when I realized that I now live some place where one could acquire Meyer lemons for making the lemon custard. (No? You can't imagine that?) For years, Martha Stewart has been telling me I need to use Meyer lemons in lemon desserts and I've never been able to find them in Kansas. Thank goodness for Whole Foods. I finally had those elusive Meyer lemons and was ready to make some lemon bars!

I'm also pretty picky about the flavor of my lemon curd/lemon custard. Sometimes it just has the wrong mix of acid and egg yolk flavor - you know? I was pleased to find that this recipe was just right. At least with the Meyer lemons it was. The crust was exactly like the Tartine crust, but a bit too hard and crunchy for my taste. When I make this again I will probably make a slightly softer crust.

You'll have to forgive me for not getting better pictures of this dish. Don and I were so excited that we promptly cut and ate as much as possible. They were delicious!



Update: Don made this recipe for my office birthday treat. Since I've started making all the treats for my coworkers, he thought he'd relieve me of that responsibility for my own birthday. He even did a pretty good job.

1 comment:

Nachiketa said...

Hi!

How sweet of your friend to make this for your b'day. hope you had a great time.
Loved surprising my friends with these :)
Lemon Cake, Lemon Tarts ~ Happy Anniversary Shikha & Sujith n Surprise for Sharad

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts