07 September 2010

Is it soup yet?

I made our first pot of soup for the season on Sunday evening, and it was so delicious. I miss soup during the hot months and it was certainly too warm this summer for soups! Don and I have a typical formula for making soups from almost any veggie in the fall/winter months. It usually involves squash. We also find it is a great way to stretch your CSA ingredients. For this soup, I whipped up a bit of a variation and it was a big hit with Mister Donald. I looked in the fridge and saw the following: kale, corn on the cob, green peppers, spicy peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, onions. And I started thinking about this terrific gazpacho I had in Michigan a couple weeks ago with great almost crisp chunks of veggies in it. We don't really use recipes, but the method is very flexible. So I thought I would share it, plus our typical method, for super simple, use-up-the-stuff-you-have soup.

Lentil Soup with fresh zucchini and green beans

1 big or 2 small yellow onions, diced
garlic if you've got it (I didn't)
2-3 cups lentils
bunch of water (4-ish cups)
box of broth (I used chicken)
2 small zucchinis, chopped into small pieces
couple handfuls of fresh green beans, ends trimmed
small bunch of chopped fresh basil
various seasonings - for this batch I used a yellow curry powder, garlic salt, pepper, red pepper flakes

Saute the onions and or garlic in a pot with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Once the onions start to change color, add in the lentils and curry powder. Cover with water and let simmer for a bit (depends how mushy you like your lentils). Pour in a bit of the broth, and your chopped zucchini and green beans. Once the green veggies start to soften a bit (this is also based on your preference - I wanted a partly crunchy soup), add the chopped basil and red pepper flakes, as well as additional broth if it's not liquid-y enough for you. Once the green veggies are softened to your liking, serve it up!

Our standard variation of soup is almost the same:

Saute onions and garlic in pan with olive oil. Season at will. Add in the veggie of your choice (we usually pre-steam some squash just to soften it a bit) and let it brown a little bit. Add in broth and simmer until everything is nice and soft. Blend together with hand blender. Red pepper flakes are almost always a must with this, too.

So that's my un-recipe-ish recipe for making super simple soup. Can you tell I'm enjoying this cooler weather and looking forward to fall? What's your favorite soup?

2 comments:

Christina said...

This is a difficult question as I also love soup... Butternut Squash with Lime Creme Fraiche is pretty amazing... Roasted Corn Soup, and the always lovely Leek and Potato. I'm going to try your recipe!

ercwttmn said...

ummmmmmm, this sounds amazing nicole. i can't wait for the weather to cool off just a bit more down here, so i can impress with this "un-recipe". i'll give you full credit of course!