20 March 2011

Dear Kraft, Nabisco, Pepperidge Farms...

My feelings towards you can best be expressed by the words of Irving Berlin's hit song from the 1946 Broadway musical, "Annie Get Your Gun":


I made my own Cheez-its. That's right. My very own, whole wheat, homemade, non-hydrolized or hydrogenized or lectin-ed cheese crackers. And they're delicious. As per usual, I was inspired by the amazing Deb of Smitten Kitchen. I swear we share at least part of the same brain.




I modified her recipe only slightly:

6 oz coarsely grated sharp cheddar
4 tbsp butter
3/4 cup King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350. Combine everything in a food processor until the dough forms a ball, about 2 minutes. Wrap up and refrigerate for about 30-45 minutes (or 4 days if your week turns out to be as crazy as mine was). Roll out on lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thick. Cut squares, goldfish shapes, whatever you like. Bake for 12-15 minutes until barely browned at the edges. Transfer to cooling racks. Eat!



I cut mine out with a crinkle roller and then poked a hole in the center, to remind me of those tasty cheese foodstuffs crackers. They are ridiculous. I foresee the need to make them at least once a week...



(I've also made graham crackers and marshmallows from scratch thanks to Smitten Kitchen... Share those photos with you soon? I hope to make the pop tarts soon, too. This recipe is precisely why I suggested a make your store bought favorite for this month's Easy Bake cOven challenge!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking it's time you published a cookbook girl!

You could call it "Semply Delicious".

Hahahahahahaahha

violentlyinlove said...

This warms my heart. Were they delicious? I think I'll try it and maybe make huge ones.

Nicole said...

They are super tasty! I highly recommend making them!

Christina said...

I thought about using garlic salt instead of the onion powder/salt combo. I might have to try them again this way. They are so easy and quick to make! I believe I also used less cheese in mine. Thanks for picking the recipes!