10 June 2011

an undesirable pallet...


Is it just me? Does anyone else cringe when they see pallets used as furniture? No, just me, the girl who had a toothpick sized splinter surgically removed from her 4-year-old thigh? I guess it's just not my aesthetic.

There's so much on the interwebs right now about this 'green and fun' design trend. Green? Really? Pretty sure those things are just as chemical laden as railroad ties. Just because you're repurposing something doesn't mean it's enviro-friendly...

courtesy design finch, who outlines the pros and cons of pallet upcycling

But maybe I'm missing something. Lots of trusted sources are singing the praises of pallet furnishings...

3 comments:

Christina said...

I agree about pallets being toxic. Having such toxic items so close to your family...hmmm.... and then I remember they transport our food on them so we really can't escape them entirely. Some of the designs are interesting and seem like good ideas for college kids or recent graduates who don't have any money... otherwise I say keep 'em outside

Anonymous said...

Hey Kiddo!

The don't use treated lumber when making new pallets. New pallets are as safe as any wood product.

Used pallets are another story -- you never know what might have been spilled on them.

Dad

Nicole said...

I know, but the fact that they are so splintery and that most people think it's great to reuse them is what grosses me out!